The convex mirror plate within an ebonized reeded surround and rope twist molded frame. A hippocampus sits above acanthus leaves and sunflowers, the bottom having more acanthus leaves and grapevines. The mirror also retains its original two candle arms, each with scrolled leaf-tip carved pendant drop.
American or English, c.1810.
47” x 30”See more photos...
Camphor Campaign Secretary – Sold!
China Trade Camphor wood campaign secretary in two parts. The upper section fitted with a long top pull out butler’s drawer and bottom drawer, the lower section with two long drawers. All the drawers have a black painted inlaid border.
Brass bound with original brass bails and bracket feet.
c.1820, 47 ½” x 41 ½” x 22” .See more photos...
Open-Top Corner Cupboard – Sold!
Green and white painted open-top corner cupboard with butterfly shelves and paneled raised door. Great form with nice molding and applied medallions.
This was a built-in cupboard found in a 19th century home in St Johnsbury, VT. The back has been replaced.
Vermont, c.1840. 80” x 35 ½” x 19 ¾”.See more photos...
One egg Nantucket lightship basket, made with oak staves and swing handle, with a maple base.
Attributed to Clinton “Mitchy” Ray (1870-1956). 2 ½” Diameter, 3” High.See more photos...
A collection of over 75 bone sewing objects including bodkins, clamps, tatting shuttle, bobbins, crochet hooks, scissors and other sewing implements all dating from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. Museum mounted on brown suede with a Bird’s-eye maple frame.
42” x 21” x 2 ¼”.See more photos...
The blade shows an early aged patina and is painted with small vignettes including a swordfish, thirteen New England yacht club burgees, and American flag and I.O.O.F (Independent Order of Odd Fellows), with a gold painted hilt, New England, circa 1900.
Measures: 37″ x 6″.See more photos...
5” Open round Nantucket lightship basket with a Boyer stamp.
Made with oak staves, handle with attached brass ears, in excellent condition. Remnants of original paper label sits on the interior base.
Made by Sherwin Porter Boyer (1907-1964).
Sherwin Boyer was one of the first generation of Nantucket basket
makers in the “purse” period, starting in the late 1940s and working
up until his death in 1964. A contemporary to Jose Reyes, Boyer is
regarded as one of the best basket makers of the period
Rare and decorative pictorial lithograph map of Nantucket with simple cartography showing roads, landmark buildings and lighthouses and small banner-shaped labels with the names of neighborhoods, ponds and beaches.
Embellished with pictures of houses, churches and with rainbow fleet, the steamship and fish in the water.
Designed by Jack Atherton and published by the Hagstrom Company of New York, c. 1937
Image size 16″ x 21 1/4″.
Unusual large sailor’s valentine in Square Form with original paper label.
The shells are composed octagonally with an eight pointed central star, surrounded with elaborate designs including whales in the corners. The original paper label still remains on the back, reading: The New Curiosity Shop, McGregor Street, Barbados, W.I., G.G. Belgrave, Proprietor. Mounted in its original mahogany frame with gilt liner.
Brothers Benjamin and George Belgrave owned and operated the New Curiosity Shop in Barbados from 1878-1925. The majority of the sailors valentines that came from Barbados in the late 19th century ultimately came from this shop. They also sold other fancyworks and shells works for the American and European sailors.
Barbados, c.1890, 20 ½” x 20 ½” x 4”.See more photos...
“Three Sisters” Ship Diorama – Sold!
“Three Sisters”, impressive ship diorama set into a blue painted plaster sea and flying the French flag. Mounted against a painted sky with clouds. There are three porcelain women figures on deck and a carved wooden lighthouse in the foreground.
Framed in a Victorian gold leaf frame, c.1870-1880.
All in original condition.
26” x 33” x 8 ½”.See more photos...
A Deserted Hearthstone by James Walter Folger – Sold
Watercolor & Gouache on Paper, 11 ½” x 17”, sight.
Interior view of the fireplace of the John Swain house.
The Swain house was built in 1672 and at the time of this painting was the oldest house on the island. The house was on a farm located in Polpis near stump pond, it collapsed in 1902. It later became known as Holly Farm. The land is now owned by the Nantucket Land Bank.See more photos...
Grain Painted Chest of Drawers – Sold!
Grain painted chest of drawers with original brasses.
Three small drawers inset on top with carved backsplash over four large drawers with roped turned side columns with bulbous turned legs on compressed ball feet.
Maine, c.1830-1840. 46 ¾” x 20” x 41”.See more photos...