One of the finest examples of a Nantucket candle stand made by Herman Ellis (1777-1816).
Made from mahogany with a serpentine top and blocked corners, decoratively inlaid with centering compass and quarter fans out of Lace wood. The turned urn and donut column rest on finely shaped legs and snake feet.
Carved from walnut and intricately carved with masonic emblems.
c.1870. 22” x 12” 5 ½”.
From 1866-1871 Bellamy had a workshop he rented in a Masonic Hall in Charlestown, Massachusetts. He employed a number of carvers, including his brother Elijah. They made frames, clocks and shelves, a good amount of them were personalized.
Oval tea table with overhanging two board pegged Cherry top on rectangular base with Tiger Maple skirt with molded edge with the cleat carved through it.The legs are block turned and tapered, ending on ringed button feet.
A Snow Hill Society painted lift top blanket chest on trestle feet. Made of pine throughout, retaining its original marbleized paint decoration.
Pennsylviania, c.1820. 22″ x 67″ x 18″.
Ex Folk Art Collection of Rick and Terry Ciccotelli of Philadelphia.
Snow Hill Society, an offshoot of Ephrata, was a pious community of Seventh Day Baptists who began meeting in the second half of the 18th century. Members of the Schneeberger (Snowberger) family were devoted followers. In 1798, when the group determined to officially establish a communal component and have its own regular house of worship, the Snowbergers provided space and formally arranged for their land, Snow Hill, to be given to the society when it was incorporated in 1823. The monastic community established a grist mill, tailor and weaver shops, tin and copper shops, a brick kiln and a printing shop on those 108 acres. The communal society was monastic (the celibates were known as Solitaries), but the congregation included married members (known as Householders) who did not reside on site. Dwindling membership resulted in Snow Hill being disbanded in 1889. The last monastic member, Obed Snowberger, died in 1895. The buildings were closed and everything remained intact until the 1990s, when Snow Hill documents were given to Juniata College and the furnishings were sold at auction in 1997. Among the goods were forty redware bowls, possibly used in the communal ritual meals or “love feasts”.
Queen Anne Tiger Maple high chest on frame with molded cornice and dovetailed uppercase with three over four graduated thumb molded drawers, and highly shaped skirt, cabriole legs and stocking drake feet.
Nantucket tambour desk made of fine mahogany and inlays. The tambour slide top section consists of eight drawers with a fine inlaid center door. The bottom section has a fold out writing desk and three drawers with a shaped skirt on tapered inlaid feet.
The desk was found with an 1899 scales receipt, purchased from Joseph Remsem. Remsen was the Sankaty Lighthouse Keeper from 1892-1919.